[Bf-funboard] Full RVK proposal plus more UI proposals

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:39:55 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 06:33:49PM +0100, William Reynish wrote:

> My Further UI Improvement proposal has also been
> updated.
>
> New Stuff included:
> UV Editor proposal
> General Improvements (Popups, Toolbox mesh editing,
> Object Info box)
>
> Check it out here:
> http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/

Mouse control:
--------------
You propose to use RMB+Drag for gestures.
That while RMB alone is to trigger the Toolbox without delay.

If it is possible to use click-hold-select-release with main
menu, it should work everywhere, including the Toolbox.

"Solutions":
1. Don't use RMB+Drag for gestures, but enable
click-hold-select-release. But what to do with gestures?
2. Don't allow click-hold-select-release anywhere. But that
means to break with standard behaviour.
3. Don't put the Toolbox on RMB, but RMB contextmenu is standard.
4. Use a delay. A departure from standard behaviour, but I could
imagine to tune the delay so that it is barely noticeable, but still
allows to access gesture input.
5. Use a radial menu, so that gestures won't be missed. But it's
very to organize menuitems for radial layouts. We would have to cut
down on things we put into it.
6. Go with the proposal and ignore this problem.

Can anyone think of other possibilities?

Radio buttons:
--------------
Grouping radio buttons without space between them is a nice and
simple solution to their main problem. But a selected radio button
still looks like a depressed (option) button, and therefor implies
that it should go up if you click on it again. That lead to the
(horizontal) listbox solution in my latest mockup.

Input buttons:
--------------
The didvison in 3 sections is a good idea, I think, because you can't
be sure what happens when clicking near middle anyway. It also makes
keyboard entry easier. However, it has to be clearly communicated.
I think the sections must not be visualized in advance. Only on
mouse-over there should be an indication of what will happen on
clicking. I might look into this later.

Popups:
-------
'OK' and 'Cancel' Buttons. No disappearing on roll-out. Yes!

Toolbox mesh editing:
---------------------
Proposal is to put all mesh editing stuff into editing window.

Wouldn't it be too crowded?
I think buttonswindow is the place for parameters, options and
commands closely tied to either of them.

While I realy like to go through all your stuff, and appreciate all
the work you put into it, I have to say that your main page is
a little bit long. And its' hard to tell what you updated when.
You could improve the presentation by breaking things up into
subpages.

---
Thorsten