[Bf-funboard] Main header issues and proposals

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:53:54 +1000

Hi,
> I disagree about removing or minimizing SCE and SCR.
> They really don't take up that much space anyway.

I think it would be good if SCE and SCR, etc, were more visually distinct to
the rest of the text though... maybe they could be bolder, and/or narrower,
or a different colour.... it would be good if they were easier to understand
(rather than IP for animation stuff, etc).

> I have a completely different take on how to make the
> bar less wide. It involes moving the object info stuff
> into a new floating panel. Check out the bottom of
> http://www.shadeless.dk/ui for more.

I like the general idea of your floating panel...  but I think the size of
it should automatically be reduced so that there is a minimal amount of
empty space on its sides.

This is what information is currently in the main header:
(In object/pose mode)
* Vertices in current scene
* Faces in current scene
* Total number of objects in current scene
* Number of selected objects in current scene
* Number of visible lamps in active 3D window
* Used memory (due to the current document)
* Name of active (not necessarily selected) object

(In edit mode)
* Number of selected vertices in active mesh/armature/lattice/nurbs/curve
(for mballs = 1, for text = 0)
* Total number of vertices in active mesh/armature/lattice/nurbs/curve (for
mballs = 1, for text = 0)
* Number of selected faces in active mesh (for
armatures/lattices/mballs/text/nurbs/curve = 0)
* Total number of faces (or bones) in active mesh/armature (for
lattices/mballs/text/nurbs/curve = 0)
* Used memory (due to the current document)
* Name of active (not necessarily selected) object (this is being edited)

(I'll just ignore the other modes)
So when it isn't in edit mode, it is basically information about the active
scene - not about the active object. The only information (in object/post
mode) it has about the active object is its name.

By the way, "n" already says what the parent of the active object is...  if
people want to see what object it is tracking, they should go to the
constraints section. (Though the "old track" option for ctrl-T doesn't show
up in the constraints section)

- Luke