[Bf-funboard] "Quit without saving changes?"/"Save changes?" popup...

Robert Wenzlaff bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:50:56 -0500

At 11:07 PM 11/20/03 +0100, you wrote:
>It is a very good idea to have a confirmation box when
>closing Blender. I have closed it by accident when
>trying to maximize/minimize the window several times!
>I can not imagine it would be that hard to implement,
>since as you say, it is already there when you press
>the Q key. I think everyone will welcome this small
>addition.
>
>I prefer the "Quit without saving changes" idea by the
>way. It's the norm, and it's good.

As stated before, currently there is no way to track if you have made any
unsaved changes, so "Quit without saving" will always come up.

So you get a loop:

Q -> "Quit w/o save?" -> ESC -> CTRL-W  -> ENTER -> Q -> 'Quit w/o Save?"

Very confusing, a newbie will think that the save did not work for some
reason.   So a "Save and Quit"/"Discard Changes" menu is the only choice to
implement (ESC and Mouse off serve as cancel) if we are adding menus.

However, quit.blend IS saved at every exit.  Why not use that to make the
system failsafe?  Would it be unreasonably slow to check if quit.blend and
the last file differed and prompt at re-load last if quit.blend was older
than lastfile.blend (can't just use time stamps, because they only record
the write time, not the mod time)?  It might.  50MB .blends aren't unusual,
though you only need to look until 1 difference is found.

Robert Wenzlaff