[Bf-funboard] Re: Large Texture buttons redesign proposal

GSR - FR bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:12:21 +0100

wreynish@yahoo.dk (2003-11-17 at 1739.58 +0100):
> Here is is:
> http://www.shadeless.dk/ui/texturebuttons.htm

I wonder why a "problem" caused due the reorg is solved with a more
radical change which makes things slower and unclear. The first
"problem" created was the order, and the "solution" is to hide all the
channels and force you to move the mouse there and click if you only
want to see what you got or in which order. There was no way to fix
the first problem instead? This is a step backwards (quick view of
what you got, for a lots of things that work as a tight team).

Drop down menus are better for things in which one and only one item
is valid at a given time, like you propose for texture type (that is a
nice way to save space, and in that place it is fine, agreed). But the
channels are a different thing. The right proposal for that should be
some kind of tree or something, not more half fixes, if you think the
limit (8 max) has to be changed. Imagine any 2D image editor in which
layers were handled with your idea, instead of stacks or lists. ;]

Also, that path you define exists sometimes, probably when starting
from zero. But other times the user goes in a different order, for
example when adjusting all you are not going to follow that path at
all, but jump "randomly". I would not make it a so big issue.

BTW, did I miss anything, or now you can not leave empty slots (not so
big issue, I think) or reorder them (this is a real issue)? Also, that
"new & delete" buttons look like you can add at will and order does
not make much sense (IIRC 8th was special, ie). GUI has to match the
guts, and I doubt the material system is getting a full rework
soon. Until then, I would try to keep the 8 buttons, when core gets
changed, then GUI should be changed so all fit (be it full shader
editor with nodes, trees or whatever).

GSR