[Bf-funboard] UV editor/face select mode suggestions

Paul Lunneberg bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:32:31 -0500

Just some comments on your requests... Take'm or leavem.

> 4- Resolution of the UV map could be set within this
> window (I know UVExport script works great anyway)

A UVMap is does not have a resolution.  If you have a square texturemap at
500x500 pixels and a duplicate sized version at 1000x1000 pixels they are
basically interchangeable without needing to modify the UVMapping.  Thought it
would be great to incorporate the UVExport Python script into the Menu for that
window!

> 1- Cube mapping should work as a "cross unfold", I
> mean like a cube unfolded in a cross of four by three
> cells. Currently, all faces are mapped on top of each
> other, making it useless. I suppose it is broken or
> maybe I'm using it in the wrong way. I remember it
> used to work OK in some version...

Cube mapping works the way it should and shouldn't really be changed as it is
usefull sometimes. You basically want the addition of a cube unwrap mapping
type.  I'm all for adding more mapping types.  Maybe make python scripts
available in this menu as well so that a python script could be written for a
certain type of mapping.

> 2- When mapping in sphere mode, the faces looking to
> the front view are mapped to the right and left
> borders. For instance in a character, the front face
> is cut in two and half of the nose and one eye is
> mapped to the right while the rest of it is mapped to
> the left. A more natural behaviour would be that the
> eyes and nose remain in the central part of the UV
> map, and that the rear part were splitted instead.
>
> If you try it with Suzanne you'll see what I mean by
> mapping her, first in the original way, and secondly
> rotating her first 180 degrees in Z axis, applying
> deformation, and then doing the sphere mapping.
> The second choice gives more natural mapping, making
> it easier to texture.

This happens because of the way the UVMap was applied... Try hitting tab to
enter edit mode and select all the vertices.  Now rotate them around 90 degrees
so your basically rotating the whole object 90 degrees.  Now try and do a
Spherical UVMapping.  It should map them differently.

However, It would be nice to have some way to visually transform
(rotate/scale/grab) the mapping coordinates like in max or DeepUV or other
programs.  That way you can see the simple mapping objects like a cylinder or
sphere or plane and see what direction it is mapping from or in the case of a
cylinder see where the the edge it starts from is.  It would provide greater
control over UVMapping.  This obviosly wouldn't be a bug fix but a whole new
feature.  So no rush... but I'd like it yesterday! :)

Paul