[Bf-funboard] Re: Toolbox Flash 2

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:50:59 +1100

On Monday, Nov 10, 2003, at 04:45 Australia/Sydney, Thorsten Wilms
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:11:06PM +0100, GSR - FR wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried doing a demo in which the menus open following the same
>> dir than the parent? To check distance vs changing dir.
>
> No, because opening submenus in same direction would enlarge the space
> the Toolbox needs, thereby increasing the propability that it and
> the mousecursor has to be relocated.
>
> Do you, considering the above, think that to not change directions
> might
> be better? Perhaps with autoscrolling submenus?

I think it would be wise to try. It's important not to reduce interface
issues to wholly quantitative analysis (such as size, mouse pointer
distances), when a huge amount of interface design is qualitative
(psychological, etc) as well. While the distance the mouse pointer has
to travel is an issue, it's not the only issue - other things must be
taken into account like logical information design and how the
interface lives up to the user's expectations.

Particularly when the initial emphasis is placed on a directional
system (even though it's not a true pie menu), it makes sense to
continue that design idea throughout, rather than making the user learn
rule after rule. So if people start dragging down toward the bottom
right corner, they don't suddenly have to turn around 180 degrees and
they can keep dragging in the same direction and make slight
adjustments to their route to fold open submenus. I think it would feel
much more comfortable this way, and would be a good idea to test.

Cheers

Matt