[Bf-funboard] Re: (Guillermo) Toolbox speed

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:09:35 +0100

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:10:48PM +0100, GSR - FR wrote:

> > I wonder if there is a easier way to compare different Toolbox designs.
> >
> > How about selecting a small number of menu items and calculating
> > selection times for these for every design?
>
> I do not understand what you exactly mean. Use a crash test dummy or
> some formula? Or limit test with real people to just some menu items?

I meant choosing items all over the menu and calculate access times
by distance and target size. But it came to my mind that what is
visible at any time will affect real access times too. So I guess
it's not realistic to calculate that.

> > But in the end I guess it's going to be presenting different designs to
> > the community and use what is liked best as the default. If differences
> > in efficiency are large enough, this should leave us with the best,
> > oherwise it might leave us with the one that only feels fastest.
>
> That would be nice, if liked was not about trend or "it looks elite",
> no matter if painful or unhealthy. Our world is full of that... if
> this is going the same way, please tell me ASAP.

Yes, but like said, I think there will be no problem if one solution is
truly superior.
I'm not aiming at beeing trendy or looking elite.

> > > I talked about this in some other mail already, covering a list of
> > > issues, did you missed it?
> > You mean your "Review of UI" post? No, and I think you're right with all
> > the problems you mentioned. With my design the mousecursor has to be
> > relocated by the app if the menu wouldn't otherwise fit on the screen.
> > But I think that is less of a problem than submenus altering direction
> > all the time.
>
> That is one solution, Blender used it in the past. Other solution is
> auto scroll, like NeXT and others do (gtk2 does for option menus, I
> think).

Autoscroll. Like, when a submenu is partly outside the screen,
it's contents are scrolled when the user aproaches the edge?
Would have visibility problems (hidden menu items).
Do you know of any comparison between the 2 solutions?

---
Thorsten