[Bf-funboard] Re: Toolbox Flash 2

GSR - FR bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:11:06 +0100

t_w_@freenet.de (2003-11-05 at 1615.24 +0100):
> Hi!
>
> Improved layout (at least I hope so) and new
> submenu-shortcut-click functionality.
>
> Please have a look and give me feedback:
> http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/blender_ui/toolbox

Have you tried doing a demo in which the menus open following the same
dir than the parent? To check distance vs changing dir.

I have checked that it does not follow the rule about the triangle
(opened menu, moved towards Add, got pointer around the h in Mesh,
tried to select Icosphere, submenu vanished), but dunno if you avoided
it to avoid coding it or what (I see you talked about handling menus
near edges, but your flash does not).

For those that do not know:

+--------+
|    1   |
| _______|+-------+
|*ItemA >||       |
| \temB  ||       |
| I\emC >||       |
|   \    ||       |
|    \ 2 ||       |
|   1 \  ||       |
|      \ ||       |
|       \||       |
|        |+-------+
|        |

Start in mouse in *, thus with the ItemA submenu open. If the cursor
moves over the area marked 2, submenu stays, cos it is considered the
user is going to the submenu. If goes over area 1, others like ItemC
will open, cos it is considered that user is trying to go to other
menu items. The \ and _ are the imaginary border. The * could be over
the "e" in ItemA, for example, and the border could be from there to
the submenu corners, but that is just a small variation of the idea.

There are other variations in which, instead of a pure geometrical
system, speed counts (move over area 2, but not too slow, ie), or
angle. In feew words the trick is to provide a safe area to allow a
direct path (the rest is tunning and implementation details).

GSR