[Bf-funboard] Move?

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 01:00:56 +0100 (CET)

Come on!

 --- Martin Poirier <theeth@yahoo.com> skrev: > ---
William Reynish <wreynish@yahoo.dk> wrote:
> > Hehe.. this is getting funny.
>
> indeed it is

Very much so.

> > When I say to you "Move the chair over by the
> door,
> > please", what would you do?
>
> And if I say "move the chair to the other side of
> the
> table", will you leave it facing the wall or will
> you
> rotate it to face the table?
>
> Whatever a word means, it's always a matter of
> intepretation.

That is a poor argument. Nobody can misinterpret Move,
Rotate or Scale. I'm sorry, they are just so obvious
and widely used.

> I think this debate is getting fairly ridiculous.
>
> Like many said, you can be using the grab (or
> whatever
> you call it) function without even knowing what grab
> means. You just learn to associate an action (the
> translation of objects) to an hotkey and to a menu
> entry.

But that is EXACTLY why "move" or "move/grab" would be
so much better! You hit the nail!

"You just learn to associate an action to an hotkey
and to a menu entry"

Bingo! The poin is, wouldn't it be great if people
knew what they were doing? If some names were more
standardised, people wouldn't have to associate
actions to random names they didn't fully understand.
If it were "Animation Editor" instead of "Ipo Editor",
people would understand in a second what it was for,
instead of taking them hours, days or even weeks
before they figure out what it is for. How can you not
see that it would be good?

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan