[Bf-funboard] Click/Press/Hold

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:51:27 +0100

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 05:09:59PM +0100, William Reynish wrote:

> > And with both MBs and the SPACEBAR(!) for the
> > Toolbox.
>
> Actually it is like this right now. You just have to
> hold down the mouse button for a second or so. The
> trouble is, that you wont want to have it wait a
> second - you want it to appear right when you click.

Nope. Only with LMB, RMB doesn't allow click-hold action.
To have a delay for the menus is OK, but it could well be
shorter.

> > Context-Trio
> > ------------
> >
> > Use of LMB for selection.
> > Use of RMB for 3d cursor (differing from William's
> > proposal).
> >
> > LMB-hold to access a menu with selection and/or
> > manipulation
> > items.
>
> That is quite a good idea. Not sure abou manipulation
> items, but to have a quick menu for selection tools
> (this will be particularily useful if we get a lasso
> tool.) is a good idea.
> However mapping it to LMB is not so good I think,
> because it would make more sence to map boundbox to
> LMB+hold. The selection box could be invoked with a
> keyboard shortcut instead (of course they should be in
> the menus too).

Boundbox? Do you mean rectangular selection? That could
coexist because it's click-hold drag. But the delay for the
menu will have to be chosen very carefully.

> > RMB-hold to access some kind of Snap-menu.
> >
> > Spacebar to access full Toolbox.
> >
> snap is shift+s in the 3d window. I don't see why
> particularily the Snap menu should be mapped to the
> mouse buttons. It's not like it should be the first
> thing you learn about when you try Blender

I think it's logical to have the Snap-menu mapped to the
same mousebutton that allows you to place the 3d cursor.

> Please consider this:
>
> In some areas in Blender you use rightclick for
> accesing menus (like header options, and there are
> others), so my proposal was mainly about making it
> more consistant.
>
> Current system:
>
> In the 3D window you use space to open a menu with
> options.
> In the headers, buttonwindows and and window borders
> you use rightclick.
>
> Do you see some unconsistency? I do.

I do not see too much unconsistency in my proposal. RMB can
always be used for a contex-menu. But with a delay for
the 3d-view. You have to look at what is practical, too!

> I also see a
> problem with the Text Editor, since you can't use
> space for the toolbox in this window (obviousely
> because spacbar is used for making a text space).

One rightclick menu and maybe a leftclick delayed menu should
be sufficient for the editor, I think.

Entering spaces in text could be CTRL SPACE ...
not :-)

Do you realy think spacebar shouldn't be used for anything
other than input of spaces? It's such a nice big button ...

> The most obvious and clever solution seems to me to
> map the toolbox to RMB, and make everything simple and
> consistant.
>
> So that it looks like this:
>
> LMB: selection  (LMB click+drag: boundbox selection)
>
> MMB: view controls
>
> RMB:Toolbox
>
> I think it looks very simple and powerful.
>
> Set 3D cursor could be ALT-LMB, or CTRL-LMB.

OK now, having Snap-menu on a mousebutton is not that important
to me. But it would be great to have a small and therfore very
fast to operate special menu on LMB. I'm sure it could work good
enough with a delay that allows rectangular selection with LMB,
too!

> About Gestures:
> I see three different possibilities about the
> gestures:
>
> 1, The gestures are removed.
>
> 2, the gestures work while holding down a modyfier key
>
> 3, We incorporate a "gesture mode", invoked with a key
> that lets drawing getures possible.
>
> I prefer the first option really, but a few have said
> thay have used it occasionally. Number two or three
> maybe better.

It might be that use of pens and tabletts is on the rise.
And I imagine gestures to be especialy useful with those.
But certainly not with modifier keys.
Therfore it would make sense to have them as an option.

---
Thorsten