[Bf-funboard] Large Blender UI improvement proposal

bf-funboard@blender.org bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:43:37 -0600

William -

Very nicely laid out presentation.  Personally I agree with your document.  I honestly
haven't had the chance to work with RVK's yet, but just looking at the screenshots - your
layout would make much more sense to me.  It is "obvious" how to do things, which I
know for me makes a program much less painful to learn.

The difference between IPO / Animation Editor really doesn't make a huge difference to
me.  Either way I wouldn't really understand the functionality as a 3D newb until looking
at some docs.  BUT I do think you have a point from the perspective of potential 3D app
cross-overs.  If we can adopt a simple name change that will make it easier for users
experienced in other software to take up Blender, what's the harm?

I think Grab is better than Grabber, but as others commented I think either the
surrounding context (rotate, scale) or a single use will teach the user that it is
Grab/Move.

I think the change in mouse buttons is a good idea as well.  I realize that changing
legacy behaviour never goes over without getting the existing userbase ruffled up, but I
think this would be a beneficial move for the long term growth and success of the
project.

Really nice work!

- Justin