[Bf-funboard] Re: Large Blender UI improvement proposal

Roland Hess bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:42:10 -0500

Nice Work.

A mouse button remap would take experienced users a week or so to get
the hang of, probably less. And new users could begin Blending
immediately. Also, the most used function (select) should absolutely
be on the LMB. That's interface kindergarten. But I think it's going
to make a lot of people cringe.

I use RVK's almost every day. Yes, the current system works. But no,
the current system is not sufficient. Not even close. Monkeyboi is
correct in stating that the current system is completely
nontransparent. I am very familiar with it, and I STILL occasionally
modify the wrong key (or even the base key - argh!) As I read this
proposal I found the tension falling from my shoulders that months of
using the current RVK interface had placed there. Again, nice work.
As for theeth, and others who say the current system works fine,
because everything's already there, somewhere, sort of: how often do
you use it?  And, just because you CAN roll down the windows in a car
with a crank, that's no reason not to get power windows in your next
vehicle.

Vertical headers: I've supported this idea before, and I still do.
However, I think it should be left to the user to orient it as they
please. Coders: how hard would it be to make it function like the
Windows taskbar, i.e. drag  a ghost of the header to the
head/foot/left/right of the windows, then drop it there?
--
Roland Hess (harkyman)
IT Manager