[Bf-funboard] Removing actions in buttonwindows

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:42:27 +0100

William Reynish wrote:

> These features from the edit buttons are also in the
> menus and toolbox, and should be removed from the edit
> buttons:
>
> Smooth, Split, Subdivide Fractal, Remove doubles, Flip
> normals and extrude.

I propose to take the following steps for designing the
button panels:

- Define which commands, parameters and options should
be accessible through buttons window.
It would be optimal, to have simple rule (or set of rules)
to decide on this. Any ideas?

- Grouping in panels and groups inside panels, according
to relation, function and workflow. Naming of panels.

- Defining which widgets to use. Again, a set of rules
would be helpfull. But here existing ui guidelines and
experience will make it rather easy.

- Here we could also define requirements for widgets
and do some work on widget design.

- Layout of panels. Could lead to reconsidering grouping,
selection of widgets, requirements for widgets and widget
design (iterative process). Therefore these steps must not
be entirely sequential.

---
Thorsten