[Bf-funboard] Removing actions in buttonwindows

The Fallen Weeble bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:27:59 -0500

> After having played with the new interface for a while
> I began to think that we should really remove some
> actions in the buttonwindows, especially in the
> editbuttons window. Subdivide, for example, should be
> removed from edit buttons since it just creates
> confusion - it is also in the Mesh menu AND in the new
> toolbox.

What's confusing?  You can access the same function with the same name
in more than one way.

> In my oppinion having only SOME of the mesh editing
> features that can also be reached from the amazing new
> toolbox AND from a menu in the 3D window thrown into
> the buttons window is confusing for the beginner,
> messy and illogical.

I can't say that I agree.  Different people work different ways.  Some
people use the button windows.  Some use the toolbox.  Some use hotkeys.
Most end up using some combination of these depending on where they're
at in their project.  To force any one methodology, IMHO, is a bad idea.

> If we don't delete these buttons, new users might
> think that these were the only mesh editing tools
> available, or get confused between Subdivide in the
> menu and Subdivide in the buttonswindow.

I can (possibly) see the issue of thinking these are the only mesh
editing tools, but not really.  The issue of confusion seems, to me,
like a non-issue.

However, in the spirit of compromise, an alternate suggestion would be
to leave those mesh editing buttons there as they are, but allow them to
be configured (user informed via documentation) ... kind of a quickbox
for frequently used or favorite mesh-editing buttons that allows them to
be quickly accessed by people who model using the button windows.  It's
not my favorite idea, but it might fit your request without changing
things too drastically.

Later.

  Groo