[Bf-funboard] fix stuff

Daniel Fairhead bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:10:08 +0300

> It's a bit off topic... nevertheless:

I disagree ;-) I think its actually a topic that should be added to Matts list,
making pages and documentation, *by* the coders, so that newbies can
learn, and tweak, and fix "little" things even, because even a two line patch
that fixes a typo of 10 pixels in button position, is useful in "polishing" blender.
And a polished product is what people, particually blender-newbies, the press,
reviewers, etc, want to see. Besides, it makes it nicer for us blender users,
to have a more polished blender! =D Not by all coders, certainly, but by any
coders who would be willing to do this type of thing.

> Matt and I work on a 'get involved' page at the site. Here all
> activities around Blender are laid out. Links at that page go to:
> - projects overview (all coding projects and links)
> - introduction for new blender developers (sirdude) with how to use
> cvs, get it compiling, etc

For the "introduction for new blender developers", I'd be willing to
contribute stuff... For instance, pages along the lines of

"How do buttons and other UI things work in blender?"
"How can I find a button in the source code I want to look at?"
"Where is the data stored?"

so, howto/faq type stuff, I guess.  But also I'd like to see -- and would
be willing to contribute to working on -- a (set of) page(s) with
infomation about what the "U" struct is, what its used for, what the
"G" struct is, what its used for, what each source-file has in it (in general,
for instance

"buttons.c contains almost all of the actual positions and declarations
of the buttons, sliders, UI-elements in blender. Some others can be found
in space.c, headerbuttons.c."

That sort of thing. Also, I'd like to have a list of commonly used functions,
with what they are for, where they are, what they require, which .h files they
require, and so on.

Infomation about oftenly used #defines and enums would be useful, BUTGREY,
etc.

We could also have a "jump-start guide to c code" ... explaining c
comments, #if 0, function calls, etc. Particually for non-(c) coders
who want to look at stuff. Perhaps this might be served better
by a link off-site ... any full-c course links would be great too :)

Anyway, just a few thoughts,