[Bf-funboard] Update

Thunderbolt bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:29:20 -0700 (PDT)

> I've compiled most of the topics that have been
> discussed recently to a
> list, with issues and problems that need to be
> researched and solved. It is
> online here:
> http://www.blender.org/docs/fubo_topics_20030619.htm
w00t!

<snip>
> The Wiki idea looks very interesting, however I'd
> personally like to see how
> we go with a 'projects' space on
> projects.blender.org first (including its
> own discussion forums). My reasoning for this is:
>
> * ~similar~ functionality to a wiki can be achieved
> with the discussion
> forums (with the added help of knowing who posted
> what, and when)
> * A wiki may be hard for newbies to learn/get used
> to, when most people are
> familiar with forums
> * The projects space provides other possibly useful
> things like trackers and
> CVS
> And the major thing that worries me... :P
> * The projects system is already completely
> operational. Installing
> something new = more administration and maintenance
> = time = something which
> I and the other web admins have none of at the
> moment :( Personally I'd
> rather be doing more productive things than
> administration...

*Usually* a wiki is more organized and concise way of
organizing data, similar to the doc you just posted,
while a forum thread can become quite disorganized. If
someone is willing to create/update a summary document
recurringly, or just keep the forums tidy, there is
less need for a wiki.

> May I put forward the proposal that we start off
> with a 'projects' space,
> and see how that goes. Then if we find it to be
> inadequate and we can find
> someone to install and maintain it, we can look
> towards something like a
> wiki. Any major complaints?

Sounds good to me! It might end up being less work
mantaining a wiki with many people updating/adding
then creating a one-man doc. It'll just depend on how
active  the Fubo ends up being :-).

--Thunderbolt(16)