[Bf-funboard] Update

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:00:16 +1000

Hi again,

Sorry it's taken me a while to put this stuff together - I've had a lot of
work to do in the last couple of days.

I've compiled most of the topics that have been discussed recently to a
list, with issues and problems that need to be researched and solved. It is
online here: http://www.blender.org/docs/fubo_topics_20030619.htm

Before setting up these workgroups, we need to have some clear directions on
what will happen in working through these topics, so I've already added some
preliminary issues of interest on that list. However I'm sure you can all
think of pitfalls/problems/considerations etc. that need to be addressed
too. So over the next few days, can you all put on your devil's advocate
hats on and think of things to be added to that list? This will help in
setting up the workgroups too, since people will have a good idea of the
scope of the problem and of the work that will be involved beforehand. Once
we have this, we can then divide up and start working out all the tricky
stuff in parallel.

Re. organisation:

Like Ton wrote in the initial announcement, we can soon start to move
towards a more specific system of organisation as well as the mailing list.
The Wiki idea looks very interesting, however I'd personally like to see how
we go with a 'projects' space on projects.blender.org first (including its
own discussion forums). My reasoning for this is:

* ~similar~ functionality to a wiki can be achieved with the discussion
forums (with the added help of knowing who posted what, and when)
* A wiki may be hard for newbies to learn/get used to, when most people are
familiar with forums
* The projects space provides other possibly useful things like trackers and
CVS
And the major thing that worries me... :P
* The projects system is already completely operational. Installing
something new = more administration and maintenance = time = something which
I and the other web admins have none of at the moment :( Personally I'd
rather be doing more productive things than administration...

May I put forward the proposal that we start off with a 'projects' space,
and see how that goes. Then if we find it to be inadequate and we can find
someone to install and maintain it, we can look towards something like a
wiki. Any major complaints?