[Bf-funboard] Re: [Bf-docboard] Feature suggestion: integrated manual

Stefano Selleri bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:48:22 +0200

Hi!

> Wouldn't it be nice to have the complete manual available from inside
> Blender?
It would :)

> * Access from the full manual from the help menu (by opening a browser)
On a local file, on an internet connection or on a 'let the user decide in
the 'I' window?

I'm for third option, with Manual downloadable as a _separate_ package from
blender, because between Blender's strong point is compactness, and
integrating the manual
in the distribution would kill this featuure

> * Access to the new digital Tutorial Guide that the DocBoard group is
> talking
>   about.

Same comments as above

> * Access to specific manual entries from tooltips or a 'helpmode' for
> the user
>   interface: click on the 'help' icon, the cursor changes into a
> question mark,
>   click on a control and get information about it.

This would be really nice, but requires a (consistent) labelling of all
chapters,
sections and subsections, a lookup table etc. etc.

> * Automatic update mechanism that downloads only the changed sections of
> the
>   manual either at Blender startup or when the user selects 'update
> manual'.

Not sure, I'd add a separate application - separate from blender binary -
getting installed with the doc and which can be called from within the
manual, when you
browse it. This would make manual self-updating and the update application
updatable
itself separately from Blender

well, just 2c.

Stefano