[Bf-funboard] Update on proceedings

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 03:59:49 +1000

Hi all, time for a little progress report on how things are proceeding.

Things seem to have gotten off to a good start - About 80 people have signed
up so far, which is good to see.

Just to remind everyone of the scope of this list:
* Feasible concepts for short-term implementation (< Blender 2.5)
* Functionality as seen by the end user (technical topics like code
rewrites/programming language choices are off-topic).

Feel free to discuss other out-of-scope topics at the forums, on the coders
mailing lists or in IRC. This is not a general discussion list and it's very
important that we strictly keep to the defined scope, so we don't lose
focus.

Anyway, it looks like we've got lots of feature suggestions and ideas here.
That's great, but we've got more work to do here than just mentioning what
we'd like ;)

I've taken a list of the different things that have been mentioned, as well
as Ton's ideas. If anyone else has some feasible short-term ideas (or can
find any in the tracker) then please mention them too. I'm compiling a list
of the different ideas, combined with initial issues and points that need to
be investigated and researched. When that's complete (probably tomorrow?),
I'll present it to the list and ask around for any more additional
issues/problems that should be researched too.

After that, my idea is to assign people to smaller groups to go off and
research these features and present them all in some nice, structured, form
(some sort of proposal or research report?) that's easy for a coder to look
at and then work on. @ndy's proposal posted here
(http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=
1662) is a good example, perhaps even more details and specifics would be
helpful too. It would be best to do things in smaller groups rather than
open each feature up to the entire list, to avoid confusion and clutter and
generating lots of talk, but no action. There should be a way for anyone to
contribute ideas to the teams doing the research though. Does anyone have
any ideas or comments on this proposal for management? In any case the
emphasis must be on the research, investigation, and results! Not just
chatter :)

Anyway, I'll update again soon when I've got this list fully compiled.

Cheers

Matt