[Bf-funboard] [feature suggestion]

bf-funboard@blender.org bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:11:14 -0600

The problem with blender of being inconsistent is a matter
of determining what feature reuse the concepts of other features,
this is called "unifying". You can pretty much count
on features that look alike but behave differently, for no
logical reason, will be made to work like each other, we all
feel this should be the way because its what we expect, but its not
easy if the source code is not developed for it.. This happens
because the developers over years of working on their applications
copy/paste portions of the codebase to other areas of the software
and tweak the copies to do something different but look and feel the
same.. Initially it unifies the features, but over time the features
lose their sameness, as the features are updated in one place but
like-features elsewhere are not updated.. Rather than going around
the source and updating every feature that is alike, which is
like a circus act of juggling code, its better to recognize what all
the features share, how the code changed from one to the others,
then take the stuff that should be shared and make it into a
reusable library of functionality. The features are then rewritten
to call on this library to do the common task. Without going into
too much detail that's why there are inconsistencies in blender
and how fixing these inconsistencies will be handled, but
a lot of it is subjective, we need to collect comments about like
features and the coders will need to determine which code is
associated with those features.. A Hacker-style coder would probably
go through an just change every feature independently, but the best
way is to unify the code throughout so that bugs can be minimized,
because copy/pasting of code introduces typos over time, also makes
the executable larger.

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail