[Bf-funboard] Re: Re: Editbuttons/Viewbuttons proposal

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:50:46 +0200

Roel@spruitje.nl (2003-07-27 at 2044.42 +0200):
> you are totally right. the gridlines button etc are only visible if you set
> the 3Dview to a button menu.
> THIS HAS NOT CHANGED! :)

You should check all this more deeply, really. Otherwise we get
something as funny as "selecting camera gives you material if you were
in a lamp" (nobody saw this one? and now you will say it makes sense,
too).

Blender areas can do anything, and there is no restrictions about
having multiple of the same, default config is just limited, but some
people have some interesting workspaces. What I fear is that putting
some combination of areas start to do funny changes here and there
that are undoable or require more work to go back to what you had, or
disallow perfectly valid workflows. Or that to avoid those problems,
code starts to do lots of sanity checks (what would it do if you was
changing a 3dview config, and select an object in other 3d view?).

You propose to do a change that could confuse people saying it will
clean things in some other part, but you seem to leave it half fixed,
IMHO. I would prefer to clean even more, get rid of the old hidden
mode (for most people that is the way it was), and make the options
avaliable somewhere else (DKEY, draw options). I would not like things
to degenerate into "if you have this, and you hit that, but the area
has never been this kind, and supposing there is no other area
that..." you get the idea. ;] Also, I think the popup would make
things really more visible, used and simple (questions about grid and
bg pic were to common in the past for so simple things).

GSR