[Bf-funboard] groups stuff

Alexander Ewering bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:34:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, car wrote:

> now. This selecting children of children
> is major league confusing after to long.  Much like the old cartoon how
> to get rid of the mouse so you use a cat, but to get rid of the cat
> you use dog , lion -dog, bear -lion........
> It just goes on patching stuff.

OK, what is the message you want to convey with this paragraph?

You are asking what these features can be used for. I explained
that in detail in my last mail.

Object hierarchies are a very usable and logical way to create
logical object groups. And being able to select members of these
groups automatically (with the SHIFT-G menu) makes it even
more usable.

> No matter I just wanted to comment. I wish people would really work at
> bugs and Super features. Like Cloth constraint
> Or a " Do not go through " constraint.

A cloth contraint would be useful, but quite hard to implement.

I don't see a particular use for a 'Do not go through' constraint,
plus it would be very hard to implement as well. You need a very
exact collision detection library for that, and that's precisely
what Blender is missing and struggling with these months.

> And maybe in edit mode we could have all of those nice new toon
> shadings also work is mesh edit mode.

I think that's in recent tuhopuu.