[Bf-funboard] support for render view plugins

Matze Braun bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:20:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For integration of third party tools, python is hopefully the way to
> go, also for scripts that do 3d drawing.
>
> Integration with a game engine might be an exception for this... since
> a game engine prefers to handle its drawing itself, and requires all
> optimized speed it can get.
>
> Currently I am spending my spare time on reviewing all code again,
> piece by piece... especially to get a better understanding of what
> happened during the NaN period, when I wasn't active coding in Blender.
> A few people have been working on improvements for the internal
> low-level 'window manager' in Blender, which was supposed to work as
> something easily extendable.
>
> This work is only partially finished, and because of that reason the
> code currently looks even more messy than it was meant to be! I intend
> to go over this... killing old crap, and put it back together in a more
> comprehensible way. First aim is then to make it easier to work with
> the current windowing system, adding new editors, etc. But ideas as you
> have, for plugging in a new engine should work as well.
>
> At the agenda here (in the tracker) is a topic to evaluate how to treat
> the current engine in blender, and how to support other engines in the
> future. We need more research on this matter still. My preference
> currently is to decrease complexity in Blender, back to a level the
> current developers can maintain & improve. Ideas about having a game
> engine in Blender really requires a team with a lot of time & vision to
> build & maintain it. We only frustrate users now with half working
> implementations...
Nice to hear that. I'm also for simple blender code. If you could make it
possible for plugins to integrate here, then the complexity of the
game engine would be in external plugins. Anyway our aim is not to
do a game construction set as the old blender engine. We just want to
provide a conveniant way to create models for CS based games. For that
users should be able to use all possible CS features and see their scenes
rendered in the game engine.

Greetings,
	Matze