[Bf-funboard] Replacing OB, SCE, IP, etc, with icons

William Reynish bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:59:50 +0100 (CET)

 --- Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> skrev: > On Tue,
Dec 09, 2003 at 03:36:56PM +0100, William
> Reynish wrote:
>
> > >No dropdown, please! I think there should be real
> > >tabs
> > >_above_ the tree. The 3 modes are like headlines,
> so
> > >they should come first.
> >
> > Yeah I though of this. But you know in the 3D
> window
> > you could say the Mode seletor should be at the
> top.
> > It needs to be consistant to a certain degree. ANd
> > anyway, you can move the header to the top
> manually
> > should you want to.
>
> Somehow I didn't think about the header and its
> functionality
> across windowtypes. I imagined tabs inside the
> actual window
> area.

> system
> > >which
> powerful.
> > >
> > >Do they offer any shortcuts?
> >
> > Not that I know of. How would shortcuts work in a
> > layers system? Are you talking about using M for
> move
> > layer? Because this could easily be done with a
> new
> > system I think.
>
> Yes, M and the numberkeys. It's strange you wonder
> how
> shortcuts in layer system are supposed to work with
> the 20+ shortcuts used in Blender. Do you propose
> to drop that (and the 20 buttons)?

Erm.. I think this topic is very hard to figure out
what is best to do. Blenders 20 buttons are very fast
but limiting. But then, if we had hotkeys like M for
move to layer (ofcourse the move to layer popup would
have to be redesigned to fit a new way of doing
layers.) it shouldn't be any slower.

Maybe there could be a system where you could assign a
number (between 1 and 20) for each layer manually (it
could do it for you, but it could be editable). That
way, we wouldn't loose any speed whatsoever.

Basicly I would prefer to drop the 20 layer area thing
in the 3D window. If we make a new XSI inspired layers
system it will just get too confusing with old and new
layers.

There could be a floating layers pallette in the 3D
window like the Object Properties panel (useful when
you only want to work with the 3D window open) with
the layers as well as a window displaying the same
thing (It's often nicer because it doesn't get in the
way of things when it is in a seperate window.)

I'll try to make a mockup soon to explain better though..

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan