[Bf-funboard] +, - or disclosure triangles

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:01:59 +0100

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 02:07:10PM +1000, Luke Wenke wrote:

> > (maybe it should have
> > arrows instead of "+" and "-" to make it more
> > consistant with the rest of Blender.)
> "+" and "-" are a little more straight forward I think ("+" means "show me
> more" (expand) and "-" means "show me less" (collapse)), and seem to have a
> larger clickable area.

On my first time with a Mac, I had no problem and imediately understood
what the disclosure tringle was for.
But the first time I saw this "+" and "-" thing on Win95 I imediately
thought that's stupid, how should one be able to tell if it refers to the
current state or the action to take place on clicking. (No, I'm not making
this up, believe me!)
The triangle appears as one widget. It turns, but doesn't change otherwise.
That might be part of the reason that it just works, without letting one
think much about state or action indication.
It's elegant. (It's not from Microsoft ... :)
There are already disclosure triangles in Blender. Don't introduce something
else for the same task. The only limitation is that it should only be used
for things that will show up below it. And it's best to have something like
a headline to the right.
Buttonpanels in horizontal mode are a special case. Not perfect, but
reasonable, because switching means of disclosure between layout modes
wouldn't be nice.

---
Thorsten