metaphors Re: [Bf-funboard] (Luke) Re: layers vs. groups

Luke Wenke bf-funboard@blender.org
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:50:17 +1000

Hi,
Like Thorsten said, it is about the metaphor of layers.
Computer programs use metaphors involving real-world concepts because they
help people to understand how things work - like "windows", "my computer",
and "folders".
In the real world, you can have physical layers - e.g. in cel animation...
you might have the background layer, then character 1, then character 2, and
then some foreground scenery. You have clear plastic (or whatever it is) and
the pictures are physically drawn onto that.
In that example there were 4 physical layers. In Blender's "layers", it is
possible for an object to be in both "layer" 1 and "layer" 3... without
being in layer 2... and if you go to layer 1 and edit the object, it also
changes in layer 3. That can't be done in the real world using physical
layers.
On the other hand, it makes sense if you use the "groups" metaphor. Things
can be members of any number of groups... (e.g. they can simultaneously be
members of the "red" group, the "bird" group, and the "plastic" group - or
abstract groups like group 6, group 8, and group 17.)
Personally I like programs to be user-friendly and that means that the
metaphors should be logical. Old users need to be taken into account, but I
think old traditions such as naming shouldn't be clinged to too
irrationally. (I'm not saying that you're necessarily irrational if you
insist that the naming stays how it is though)
- Luke.