[Bf-funboard] Re: Layers: The way they ARE

Karim Nassar bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:18:37 -0500

> For this the Lock icon button next to the layerbuttons in 3D windows
> exist. By default the button is pressed, meaning that Scene layers are
> visualized here. By unlocking the layer buttons you can use the local
> layers of the 3D window itself, thus effectively creating temporal
> 'working' layers.

Woah.... Ton, are you saying that when you unlock a 3-d view's layer
buttons, that those buttons now point to "different layers" altogether??

Forgive me for saying so, but that is really a bit screwy. Lot's of
potential for things to get "lost."  No... I must be reading that wrong.

In any case, in light of the way Layers currently work, maybe the right
way to go about this is to look at re-designing the OOPS window
after-all. It may be simpler to build an Object Manager with the sort of
control we need out of the OOPS engine.

If we create a new kind of Object ("Add --> Containter"?), and then
clean-up & re-organize the OOPS window, maybe we could get to where we
are trying to go without gutting the current Layer implementation?

As an excercise, I'm going to look at making a mock-up of a re-imaged
OOPS-based Object Manager.

--Karim