[Bf-funboard] Re: (Ton) Layer Manager proposal/mock-up

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:25:49 +0100

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:32:20PM +0100, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Most important here is that this layer code is equally used and stored
> for Objects, Lamps, Scenes, 3D windows, etc. This introduces a new
> complexity; because when you give special properties to a layer
> ("lock", or "ghost"), what does it mean for an Object that is in 3
> layers?

Now an object is visible, if any of the layers it's in is visible.
Direct translation: An object is locked, if any of the layers its in
is locked. Could be confusing. In this case it should be indicated,
if and where an object is locked (highlichting of layer buttons or
maybe of the lock icons?).
No problem here with rendering. But there should be an easy way to check
what will be rendered in the 3d view. That's why I thought about using
at least 2 sets of layer settings. You could use 1 for modeling and the
other for setting up rendering. The set to be used would be an option
for any 3d view and for rendering.

> And: if you assign properties to Scene layers, what does it mean for
> layers in an Object, do they get properties?

Have I missed another feature of Blender? What are scene layers?

And I wasn't aware of previous discussion about objects and structure.

---
Thorsten