[Bf-funboard] Layer Manager proposal/mock-up

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:32:20 +0100

Hi,

Finally time to catch up with mails...

I think it is important first to explain what layers currently are in
Blender.
Layers don't really exist in Blender at all... and although we have a
menu saying "Move to layer", actually nothing is moved, except changing
a few bit values in the Object.

What is called a 'layer' in Blender is nothing more than a 32 bits
value, which defines a visibility code. Objects have this code, 3D
windows have it, Scenes have it. By using a very fast binary
comparision (code: "ob->lay & scene->lay") detected can be whether an
object is visible in a scene or not. It is also used for Lamps (to
define which objects they shine light on) or for environment maps (to
define what not to render).

Most important here is that this layer code is equally used and stored
for Objects, Lamps, Scenes, 3D windows, etc. This introduces a new
complexity; because when you give special properties to a layer
("lock", or "ghost"), what does it mean for an Object that is in 3
layers?
And: if you assign properties to Scene layers, what does it mean for
layers in an Object, do they get properties?

It is the main reason why such a proposal wasn't easy to quickly
implement.

This also might be why Thorsten started thinking of another topic we
discussed before, and that's how to organize data (objects) in a
Blender scene... using hierarchical trees, layers, grouping, etc.

-Ton-