[Bf-funboard] Layers and Object System

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:10:06 +0100

Hi!

Proposal for advanced layer (visibilty of groups) management:

A management dialog (or windowtype) that contains a treeview
showing some objects. These objects can be:
- selections of 3d objects (now Layers), called Groups
- single 3d objects
- selections of elements of an object, like Vertex Groups
(it's good to have something you can make invisible
shown somewhere else)
- special folders (preset query folders), always containing all
matching objects:
  - Meshes / Curves / Surfaces
  - Lamps / Cameras
  - Lattices / Armatures
- query folders, like above, but customizable:
  - example: all objects with some material assigned to them.

Every object in the tree has a slot for a button (our 20 layer
buttons). There are 20 draggable symbols for assigning the
buttons to objects. The symbols will always be numbered
from top down, so the number of a symbol might change after
dragging (I know, this might not be ideal, but I don't want
to make this even longer by presenting alternatives for a
detail). The number defines the exact button.

With help of the special/query folders, the user can make
visibility of, for example, aramatures toggable by a button/
shorcut.

The visibility of a group of "Layers" can be made toggable
by putting Groups into a Group and assigning buttons
accordingly. Visibility setting of a parent tops that of
it's children. Parent visible, children can be visible,
parent hidden, all children hidden.

The management dialog should also allow selection of objecs.

Comments please!

---
Thorsten