[Bf-funboard] Re: Features for testing and critics [Solutions propositions]

Martin Poirier bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:40:04 -0700 (PDT)

Couple of suggestions adapted from the many ideas
thrown around.

Two modes in tranform: Numeric input and Mouse driven.

Not sure how I'd do that. Someone mentioned switching
modes automaticly when numbers are pressed and someone
mentionned switching modes when N is pressed. I'd
prefer the first solution, much more seamless and
elegant. Of course, both could cohexist easily.
Dual moding would also solve the conflicts with the
proportionnary tools.
It would also solve most of the display problems,
since both numeric input and mouse motion will not
happen at once, no need to find a workaround to
correctly display the difference between both values
at the same time.

Backspace to clear mouse motion too. Someone said this
would be more intuitive, and I agree. I'll look into
that.

> Great! I realy like this. But could'nt test it with
> the linux
> binary.

I also commit those to tuhopuu, see if you can't grab
a linux build somewhere.

> For me, the middlemouse-method has always been
> intuitive
> and quick, no problems with it. For an experienced
> Blender
> user, thinking of "which axis is the one i want to
> constrain
> to" and hitting X/Y/Z takes probably more time than
> just
> pressing middlemouse after you instinctively moved
> the mouse
> in the right direction.

Agreed, that's why I made both method coexists.

> Rough mockup here (supposedly while moving an object
> along the local X
> axis):

http://mke3.net:9000/blender/ui/misc/axisconstrain_feedback.png

If you have some working code on this, could you
please send it over to me? If not, I'll probaly have
to fiddle some stuff on my own.

thanks to everyone who participates in this
discussion,
Martin