[Bf-funboard] per vertex properties and property sets: second proposal

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:34:21 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:23:49PM +0200, Gregor M=FCckl wrote:

> GENERAL IDEA
> ------------
>=20
> The idea is to extend the current property mechanism in a way that allows=
 the
> assignment of properties to various objects including vertices.
>=20
> The implementation has two parts: global property sets and their usage in=
 assigning
> properties to individual vertices.
>=20
> Global property sets are named lists of properties that behave just like =
object
> properties. A new property type will be introduced to reference global pr=
operty
> sets. This property type will *not* be available in global property sets =
to avoid
> circular references from the ground up.
>=20
> Global property sets can be shared between as many local sets as you like=
=2E Indeed
> they are introduced to make the mass-assigning of long lists of propertie=
s easier
> for the user. At the same time it is possible to override properties from=
 the
> global sets using local properties of the same name.

If I do understand this, then it's like inheritence from abstract classes?

Would this help, for example, when I would want to generate a set of materi=
als,
all with same settings, except color?

Anyway, would be great to have an "inherit from" menu for materials and any=
=20
other thing where it could fit. All parameters that are at inherited value=
=20
could be shown in different color, so that you could easily recognize=20
overwritten parameters.

---
Thorsten