[Bf-funboard] Rotoscoping, image-planes or background

Roel Spruit bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:04:35 +0200

I have an easier way (I think). It should be possible to code a "minimum
draw mode" option.
that way you could set a plane to always render fully shaded while the scene
is in wireframe.
in comparison, the current drawmode is maximum draw-mode.

Roel

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: bf-funboard-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-funboard-admin@blender.org]Namens Thorsten Wilms
Verzonden: zaterdag 16 augustus 2003 15:22
Aan: bf-funboard@blender.org
Onderwerp: [Bf-funboard] Rotoscoping, image-planes or background

Hello everyone,

Since this my firts post here:
My name's Thorsten, I'm studying industrial design in Wuppertal (Germany). I
take an huge
interesst in interaction / interface design and 3d. It's very nice to have
such a powerfull tool
like blender all free (speech and beer). It's even nicer to have the
possibility to influence
it's future (or even be a part of it).

Recently I tried to model something human-like, and that brings me to the
reason of this post:

At the moment, you can use just one image as a background that appears on
all views (top, rigt,
left ...).

For rotoscoping with 2 or more images (very helpful for character modeling)
you must stick to
mesh-faces with uv-mapping. It's alot of work to setup and you can only see
the images in Alt-Z
mode. So you can't see the image and work in wire-mode. You have to put
those faces on a layer
and disable it for rendering.

I can think of 2 solutions:

1. A new object: image-planes like implemented in wings. They can be
manipulated like normal
planes. Images assigned to them are scaled proportionaly. They don't appear
on renderings but you
can see the images in all view-modes.

2. Background-images per ortogonal view. So you can have different images
for top, right, front,
etc.. It should be possible to move those images on their planes to make
them fit together for
modelig on the center of the 3d space.

The second solution means no extra objects to be handled in your scene, but
the reference images
can only be seen in exact numpad-views. Images-planes could be used with any
inclination for more
sophisticated uses of reference images (don't know if that's realy
practical). And sometimes it's
helpful to view 2 reference images (like front and side) and your model from
an apropiate angle.

Any of the 2 would be a great improvemnt for me, but maybe implementation of
both would be
optimal. What do you think?

---
Thorsten