[Bf-funboard] Particles

Paul Lunneberg bf-funboard@blender.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:51:15 -0400

An idea I had from the Lightwave 8 demos I watched online during siggraph that
could be applied to the rewrite of the particle system.

Newtek showed a new feature of some new particle system effect that once the
particles have been calculated you would then be able to grab a specific
particle and move its motion path or even just its location during that key
frame and it would modify the path without haveing to recalculate all the
particles again.  This is a huge time saver especially when your trying to get
particles to avoid the camera correctly or if something looks great except one
small piece.

They also showed this feature and how it applies to cloth dynamics and such that
if a characters dress is waving around and the characters leg pops through the
dress on one frame you can just pull and modify the verts on that frame instead
of trying to recalculate or using higher res deflectors.

Something to think about for possible use in the new particle system rewrite and
even in any other type of simulation work being done.  Water, cloth, hair..
whatever.

Who knows.  Just a thought.
Paul Lunneberg