[Bf-funboard] Editbuttons/Viewbuttons proposal

Matt Ebb bf-funboard@blender.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:13:28 +1000

Hi,

I was thinking about this a bit and had an idea (dunno if people will agree
or not though) about organising those window in an alternative way.

How about making the buttons window reflect the OOPs structure a bit more?
We already have EditButtons for editing the ObData of the selected object,
but it only goes halfway (doesn't work with lamps etc).

My idea is to create a new 'Object' buttons tab, which would work in a
similar way to EditButtons (more context-sensitive). This would reflect the
Object/ObData idea in Blender more clearly.

Object buttons would contain properties/controls relevant to Objects:
* Viewing controls (Like Roel has got in his example)
* Location/Rotation/Scale controls (kinda like a persistent NKEY menu in the
buttons window, in a similar way to the 'transform' section in solmax's
mockup here:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1837 ,
which is something people have been asking for for a long time)
* Any other properties attached to the object itself

Edit buttons would contain properties/controls relevant to ObData:
* Very similar to now, with text controls for text ObData, mesh editing
controls for mesh ObData, and so on
* Get rid of Lamp buttons, and make it use this system (Object buttons show
object related things like viewing options, ObData buttons show basically
the same as current lamp buttons, editing the ObData of the lamp, which can
be linked to multiple objects of course)

I personally think a system like this would make it easier to understand
Blender's Object/ObData system, and make it easier working with objects with
linked data and so on, since it makes the distinction clearer.

I realise this is quite a departure from the current system, but does anyone
have any thoughts?

Matt