[Bf-funboard] Menus and toolbox intentions

Thunderbolt bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:13:39 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree that the Maya style hotbox isn't very
efficient. It looks like they actually have a
'two-tier' pie menu, where the use has to move past
the first 'ring', to the outer ring,  which negates
much of the speed advantage that single tier pie menus
have.

Sounds like a very good overall design philosephy to
me, especially the use of pie menus whenever possible
:-).

http://mke3.net:9000/blender/ui/misc/maya_hotbox.png)

(http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html)

http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/PolyModeling-Frog.jpg

http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/PoseAnimation-Abix.jpg
> I personally think this is a much better approach,
> since it really takes
> advantage of the fast access with the toolbox, and
> gives you direct access
> to the tools themselves - no need to navigate
> through layers upon layers of
> menu structure.
>
> So, for Blender, I propose this:
> * Use the top main menu as a well organised and
> structured list of all of
> Blender's features that will feasibly work in a menu
> * Change the toolbox into a combination of Max's and
> Maya's:
>   - Display context-sensitive features that can be
> accessed directly with
> one mouse click
>   - Also have one or more *additional*
> buttons/options that will replicate
> (perhaps in a manner similar to Gimp's right-click
> menu? I don't know) the
> main menus as well
>   - Use radial (pie menu) layout as much as possible
> (articles at
> www.piemenus.com)
>

> So... any opinions? :)
>
> Matt

=====
From,
Ryan Freckleton

Alias:Thunderbolt16

 "But other rocket experts are worried, not least because the Thunderbird capsule is actually a converted cement mixer, containing sheets of hardboard and a few computer joysticks." --BBC Online