[Bf-funboard] Expanding the menus

Ton Roosendaal bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:42:18 +0200

Hi,

Although a Blender Screen can have many interfaces and tools, there's
always only 1 active Object. 'Active' is a different concept in Blender
than 'selected'... something we can discuss as well, but let's stick
with it a while!

So: this 'edit xxxx' option you have below the 'editmode (tab)' one,
can just be empty or greyed out when nothing is available.

Next problem then still is, that in the sequencer you have an active
strip... in the ipowindow active curve or vertex, and so on. An attempt
to have all tools & options in Blender organized within a single
pulldown system therefore is quite a task...

However, we *could* adopt Apple's behaviour for this though...
considering Blender itself is a window-manager. Although I don't like
it to give up the automatic activating of Blender window on
'mouse-over', we can agree on that a single click in a window will
change the menus into one that reflects all of its options. And like in
the Mac desktop, the leftmost can remain the 'main' Blender menu, and
maybe even add the default 'Window' and 'Help' menus to the right...

This smells a bit like 'context menus', but we can then adopt for the
toolbox to show only the actual options/tools that work based on
selection/active status.

-Ton-