[Bf-education] how to catch cheaters in a class?

Jamie Le Rossignol jlerossignol at gmail.com
Sat May 27 06:05:32 CEST 2017

The cookie cutter or lock step approach that exists in some teaching
environments does lead to 'boring' copycat assignments. I've also taught
practical technology, like woodwork & electronics, and within that context
the student may have developed these skills and knowledge before I ever see
them. So the focus has to be different. There are that many tutorials
online these days that cover various skills.

Personally I avoid just evaluation technical proficiency and take the view
that Blender is a tool for expressing artistic intent. I get them to
provide a boarder scope of evidence to demonstrate their skills. For
example; Using Blender's modeling & 3D Printing tools I get the students to;

   - develop a concept on paper,
   - provide feedback on other's work, &
   - create model for 3D printing.

To drive their creativity you could provide each student with a randomly
generated mesh to incorporate into their design, to provide a unique key
that can be linked to each student.

I would suggest that when creating tasks that use Blender make it only one
part of the assessment.

For example; Creating a short 3D Animated sequence could also include
Script writing, Storyboarding, Design sketches, Modeling, Animation,
Composition, Sequencing. Of which about half happen in Blender. In the
classroom I make regular observations of student progress to track where
they are. For online teaching you could request a regular snapshot, and
response with feedback.

In the end, someone who cheats is only cheating themselves.

Regards,
Jamie