[Bf-education] Blender certification... FYI: indicative assessment times.

Andrew Buttery & mkab at pacific.net.au
Mon Jan 13 04:05:15 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

FYI: I did a bit of asking around with some educators in Melbourne and Hong
Kong as to how long they would take to assess the competency of a student as
after the conversation a month or so ago I was curious as to how long it
really takes...

One said at least an hour and half for a written assessment (e.g. exam),
less if it was an oral assessment (i.e. a Q&A session). She thought that
multiple choice questions (MCQ) were a poor way to assess unless they were
very well written.

The other said that assessing a portfolio of work on average takes two to
two and a half hours even though he is very experienced and assesses quite a
few a year. I'm guessing that is over a hundred a year as he assessed my
Certificate IV Training and Assessment evidence folder along with 20 other
students. Mine was just one course of many he teaches during the year.

So if we want a certification to have creditability, it needs, at least, to
have:
	- a qualified individual doing the instructional design and
assessment;
	- an assessment approach that demonstrates student competency, not
just the ability to answer MCQ,
	- clear student authentication; and
	- clear education records which can be audited.

This could easily add up to a full-time job and therefore you would expect
that there would be some fees involved...

	- andrew