[Bf-education] Blender's great weakness.. and the solution!

Nigel Ward nigel.ward at eeb3.be
Sun Nov 4 18:41:21 CET 2012

Hello all,

Nigel Ward from Brussels here. I only just joined this mailing list and may have missed a couple of message that responded to my entirely unoriginal suggestion that there should be a ‘beginner’s mode’ in Blender that hides most of the more advanced, rarely used options. It’s clear though that this suggestion is getting a negative response.

I would like to make the obvious comment that Blender, like most programs, ALREADY includes the option of hiding options that are not needed – we use those little triangles to hide lists of unwanted items all the time. And every time we expand a window with Ctrl+up arrow it is because not only do we want an expanded view but also because we want a cleaner, simpler interface. Even the idea of drop-down menus is to hide commands most of the time and show them only when needed. So in fact most options in Blender are hidden anyway, at any given time. Once you’ve accepted that fact you should be more willing to accept the idea of a beginner’s mode that hides most options.

Nicholas J suggests that ‘Using a simplified interface just doubles the amount of time it takes to get comfortable’ and Carlos suggests that a button that hides 80% of Blender’s complexity would ‘add another layer of complexity’ and ‘increase confusion’. I find these comments strange -  the whole point of a beginner’s mode is to reduce complexity and confusion, of course. It shouldn’t take long for users to realise that if they can’t find some option their first reflex should be to click the prominent button that switches back to full mode. Identifying exactly what should be shown and what should be hidden in beginner’s mode would be an interesting and controversial exercise but at the same time it’s obvious that some operations and options in Blender are far more basic than others.

I agree with John N who says Blender ‘has the complexity of a dozen Photoshops!’ Blender is already the most complex free software I have ever worked with and it will of course become ever more complex with each new version. It therefore seem to me INEVITABLE that a beginner’s mode will have to be introduced sooner or later for Blender will simply become too intimidating otherwise. Already many of my students beg me after a few lessons of Blender ‘Can’t we go back to Sketchup, please – it’s so much simpler, easier and more fun!’ I worry that if Sketchup ever adds built-in rendering then many people will choose it rather than Blender. After all, it already has a physics engine (game mode) in the form of the SketchyPhysics plugin.

Regarding the suggestion that individuals would hack their version of Blender to create a customised, simplified interface, there are many problems with this:
·        Every time the hacker adopts a new version of Blender he would need to repeat his work

·        Hundreds of hackers all over the planet might be doing this hack – how inefficient that would be!

·        Above all, this would not give us a STANDARD beginner’s configuration. Therefore no educator would ever make tutorials using their custom interface. There must be a STANDARD beginner’s interface option to encourage people to make tutorials for it. By all means also give people the option of further customising their interface but I think the most important thing is to have a STANDARD simplified interface option.

Note also that I am not suggesting that there should be a special ‘educational’ version of Blender with some functions not available – there should be only one Blender but it should have the built-in option of presenting a standard, simplified interface with most controls hidden.

Best regards,

Nigel from Brussels