[Bf-education] Blender's great weakness.. and the solution!

John R. Nyquist john at nyquist.net
Sun Nov 4 17:19:19 CET 2012

I agree with you that the official version of Blender should be the full
version, and the documentation should reflect that. I also agree that there
is no harm in people creating their own branches for their own purposes (in
fact, I believe that is good for Blender), but I believe the thrust of this
discussion is the desire to put this functionality into the official
version of Blender.

Regards,
John

--
John R. Nyquist
Nyquist Art + Logic

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Dolf Veenvliet <dolf at macouno.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> users" affect developers gumption?
>>
>> Who decides which features goes to which side of the watershed?
>>
>> Should we hide node materials too? then what happens to cycles?
>>
>> Why not simply swap Lite for Mobile?
>>
>> Have a Mobile only sub set that is a simplified version of the ui that
>> kicks in when in a corresponding platform is detected.
>>
>> The best way to tackle complexity is through documentation: effort in a
>> lite version should be redirected to the wiki,  imho.
>>
>> And who knows, maybe an add-on that would let devs link any interface
>> element to a wiki entry.
>>
>> The point am trying to make is that centralized information outlets are
>> better than adapting to a user s level of knowledge when it comes to the
>> learning curve, The wiki has seen some terrific amount of work and that is
>> what should be supported when talking about helping new comers.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Carlos Santana
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM, John R. Nyquist <john at nyquist.net>wrote:
>>
>>> I would respectfully disagree with the idea of implementing -- and
>>> teaching to -- a simplified version of Blender's UI. I've tried that with
>>> other software that's had simple/advanced versions and if you start on
>>> simple, the switch to advanced is jarring.
>>>
>>> I prefer the approach of showing what you need to look for (initially).
>>> I find people, and especially kids, very good at zeroing on those things
>>> once they're shown (just as Nigel has done). The other elements that they
>>> are not currently using -- while they may be visual noise/texture at the
>>> beginning -- are there in their usual spot for when the learner starts
>>> expanding their knowledge.
>>>
>>> I've been approached more than once by new users who say something like
>>> "I'm pretty good at Photoshop how long would it take to learn Blender?".
>>> Blender might be one software program, but it has the complexity of a dozen
>>> Photoshops! Modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, lighting, compositing,
>>> rendering, video editing, game programming, and more. Each one of those is
>>> very deep on its own. 3d in general is a very broad topic, each topic a
>>> discipline of its own. Who knows what will peak the student's interests? I
>>> look at young masters like Jonathan Williamson and Andrew Price, both are
>>> great Blender artists (and instructors) but each excels in different areas
>>> (Jonathan in modeling and Andrew in compositing). I'd be hesitant at hiding
>>> functionality and encourage guiding.
>>>
>>> The youngest person I ever taught blender to was my 8-year-old using the
>>> Blender 2.4x series (supposedly a more difficult UI than today). In a short
>>> time, he was able to model a pretty good Garfield (the cat) using
>>> mostly primitives, with some simple materials and textures. I was surprised
>>> at how productive one can be with just the basics.
>>>
>>> On a funny personal note, just Friday I was handed a very large manual
>>> for a real-world system. But the owner showed me the 10% that was relavant
>>> 90% of the time. That little bit of guidance made all the world in the