[Bf-education] Bf-education Digest, Vol 72, Issue 10

jentzen mooney jentzenskills at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 17:21:19 CEST 2011

Tony, thank you for the killer reply. I am off to teach class this morning but I look forward to full digesting your post at lunch today.
Quickly most of my experience with cg certification systems has been with Softimage before AutoDesk, after AD it seem mostly about money. I hear now the guy running the certification is making it very legit which awesome, but it seems like a lot of red tape and costs just like when Alias did their training for Maya.

When I got certified in 2002 through Softimage Avid this what the certifications consist of(mind you they had proper training/education department):
Learn all 27 tutorials and be able to demonstrate 2/3 of tutorials from memorization then a timed 50 questions test, some multiple choice and some short answered and some long answer(open manual)

Day 1 and 2
The 2/3 tutorials of the 27 are chosen for you at random by the certification trainer. You are to present these tutorials to the instructor and the other attendees seeking certification. Also this was not just to recite the tutorial. Every Softimage tutorial for the tutorial book had one over all concept that was to be explained via whiteboard instruction, example: global illumination and final gathering. Then into the tutorial to demonstrate to use and how, what, why.

Day 3
Written test,  50 questions test, some multiple choice and some short answered and some long answer(open manual)
Once completed pass or fail a nice lunch on Softimage.

Then with in a month you must submit 2 video tutorials of your own take on one of the 27 tutorials preferably something your are really passionate about or skilled with.

The whole testing certification process costed 700 dollars a nice price at the time compared to Alias 10,000 dollar cost
I asked about the 700 dollars they said it was old from the softimage 3D days when they had to rent space and they used sgi, weird but whatever

A few years later they axed the proper training/education department and the certification turned into multiple choice written tests.