[Bf-education] Blender Certification

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Mar 30 12:41:31 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Currently the Blender Foundation doesn't really exist as an
organization, it's actually just a legal vehicle to ensure we have our
IP safe (code, domains, brand, docs, content) and to manage donations.

The main target of BF is to keep blender.org alive, to facilitate all
projects there (from docs to code). The BF doesn't officially meddle
with code, designs, or content really... for that the groups of
volunteers work in freedom, they organize themselves via the channels
facilitated by BF.

That's what I prefer to keep; BF should be as minimalistic as
possible, and stick to facilitation. When needed BF can set a couple
of steps as a catalyst, and withdraw when it goes well.

In my discussion with Laurent I've understood that we can treat the
Certification issue differently:

--> Providing a standardized set of training material and tests

This will keep the pure act of certification itself indepedently, but
it will help trainers, teachers, schools, institutes, governments etc.
to introduce Blender in their programs.

I think that's an interesting approach to investigate, matching the
"facilitation" strategy of BF as well.

-Ton-