[Bf-education] Sans shortcut keys

Edwin Pilobello e_pilobello at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 01:53:36 CET 2011

I just started a class for under-priveledged kids.  Their school does not have
the latest computers.  So I brought a mobile lab of 6 Dell XPS laptops.  Wide
and heavy models, which I thought came with full keyboards...but not.  So I
changed my approach.

I decided to leave the shortcuts out and just use the menus.  Our first use of
the menus was in changing views: top, front, right, etc.  The kids were to
duplicate the block 5 times and build a pyramid by grabbing the widgets and
positioning the blocks.  They were to make sure that the blocks aligned by
switching between the views and use MMB for spinning/zooming.  The objective
being to recognize how 3D space is organized.

It worked!  This early in the game, eliminating the tactile numpad shortcut
procedures removed that much of a cognitive load.

I'm sure we'll be using S, R and G next week.  So we'll see how they tap with
the left hand and mouse with the right hand.