[Bf-education] Blender Reference

Pep Ribal pepribal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:04:58 CET 2011

Hi all,

I haven't posted anything yet, because I feel that my vision on all this
might be a bit off of what it seems to be the way of action you all are
pointing out. However I feel that I must share my ideas. Actually I
wasn't unsure if I had to post it or in bf-docboard... However if you
think I also should post in the docboard list, tell me and I will do it too.

Last 2 days I've been having interesting conversations in the IRC (with
darKoram and greylica), and I think I should share my thoughts with the
rest of you.

The thing began 2 months ago. I've been thinking on becoming BFCT for a
while, and finally I decided to go for it. However I find that the major
problem for someone that wants to learn Blender in depth is the lack of
an in-depth up-to-date Blender reference. The wiki can definitely be a
good place to give you good hints, but I think it's far away from being
a complete reference site... To make things "worse", development goes so
fast that documentation gets outdated easily.

I contributed in a few places in the wiki manual (and years ago I worked
on the manual translation to spanish), but I think that it is currently
not the resource (at least) I need.

So I boldly decided to create my own Blender reference. My idea is to
make a "dissection" of Blender, trying and testing every bit and piece
of it, and to slowly create a brief reference (in Spanish at the moment)
documents for myself which I could use in the future to make video
tutorials, lectures and so on. I think that such a reference would be
the perfect basis for: official manual, tutorials and video tutorials,
examinations, courses, and a long etcetera.

So these 2 months I've been "touching everything" in Blender in all the
possible ways and forms. Result has been I start to learn a lot; at the
same time I've done a lot of bug reporting (as I push Blender in all
ways, and I find many little things), but it's hard, as ther is not a
source of complete knowledge about all Blender features.

The problem: it's very sluggish. That is Herculean task for a single
person. However, I'm decided to continue no matter how long it takes.
And it's gonna take me ages.

With my recent conversations on the IRC, I would like to know if perhaps
my personal project could be integrated into the Blender community. My
goal atm is not certification, or exams, or whatever. I'm thinking on
the long run: I am for a complete in-depth up-to-date Blender reference.
Either made by me, or rather turned into an official project. Then, I
can start thinking again on my BFCT, because I will have good material.

If it worked ok, developers could even forget about documenting, except
for a) the release logs and b) the weekly meetings.

As I took a master certificate on project management time ago, I'm very
aware that in every project planning is more than 50%. If a good project
charter and plan could be designed (with all key elements of project
planning or similar), and if enough people could commit, I would
definitely change the approach from a personal project to a community one.

The plan should integrate: writers, reference breakdown and assignments,
regular meetings with the developers (let's say once a week?),
schedules, definite milestones, resource management, scope, and so on.

Regarding meetings with coders, I've been bothering them a bit those
past days, but I think that "official" meetings would give writers much
more confidence that their questions will be answered "this week".

I think I've written too much. Well, I don't know if someone will think
I'm saying a single interesting word, but at least I could share my
thoughts. Let me know what you think.

Best,

Pep.