[Bf-education] Organizing / supporting education (2)

Octavio Mendez octavio at g-blender.org
Mon Dec 19 22:42:19 CET 2011

Hi!

2011/12/19 Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org>

> Hi all,
>
> Let's try to summarize the current state of discussions. I think
> there's three main approaches we can evaluate.
>
> (I also don't propose to rush in decisions in this holiday season, but
> try to find a good way forward mid january 2012?).
>
> ---- (1) Product approach ----
>
> Proposed by Ivan Paulos Tomé (discussed with me in Brazil too).
>
> Basically it means to develop a course book (or package) for teachers,
> to allow them to efficiently teach Blender to students. Targeted at
> students without real 3d experience.
>
> Ivan could use help from others for it. A good project plan can also
> result in BF to help funding it. We can sell the book via Blender
> estore, or make deals with other publishers.
> The contents for this product itself can be open/free licensed too.

 *I think this is a great idea. It is a need to have some kind of
“official” study guide to a certification exam.*

> ---- (2) Free/Open Certification approach ----
>
> Proposed by Octavio Mendez, Carlos Santana.
>
> Challenge will be to find a way to have volunteers cooperate in
> developing a standard Certification test, which can be freely handed
> out to educators and institutes to use. The test will be standardized
> and "BF certified", the certification itself issued by the testing
> facility.
>
> For this to work, a strong and active team of volunteers need to
> cooperate.

   *I think we can start to develop a 100+ questions to get an skeleton of
a exam. We can focus first on evaluate Blender 3D general skills and then
test it with a small group to see if it can evaluate the skills of the
person who takes the exam. Whre do you think is the best place to share and
construct the questions of the exam? I agree is not a good idea be public
available.*

 *
*

* I volunteer to start to develop the questions, any one else want to join?*

> ---- (3) Centralized Certification bizz ----
>
> Laurent David (sort-of) and others proposed this.
>
> It's based on common practices in training centers, schools and
> universities. For many people it's their living and a viable business
> model. For many software companies a great model for income too
> (Adobe, Autodesk). In order to develop training with good quality, a
> lot of time and money has to be invested. ROI can take 1-2 years even.
>
> For this to work, a BF "licensed" entity should be setup to organize it.

 *I think we can develop a good quality training material, and we can make
efforts together (with together i mean all the people interested) to
minimize the cost and time. I think we can start writing down the
definition of this BF "licensed" entity and how this entity will work.
Where we concentrate this info? On the list? On a wiki? On google apps? In
other place?*

> -Ton-

*Octavio A. Méndez Sánchez*
octavio at g-blender.org