[Bf-education] Organizing / suporting education

Octavio Mendez octavio at g-blender.org
Mon Dec 19 19:23:26 CET 2011

Hello.

I think we define what we are trying to certificate:

We are trying to certificate the use of the software?

We are trying to certificate 3d art skills?

example: we have a person who knows how all the blender modeling tools
work, knife tool, selection tools, sculpt mode etc, and he can model a
human hand with them, but the final model sucks, because he is not a good
artist. In the other hand we have a person who only knows the basics about
modeling with polygons, he don't know nothing about the tools (only test
and move things on the interface and see the effect on the screen) but he
is an amazing artist!

I agree with the idea to have a question-based exam and a practical exam.

Octavio.

2011/12/19 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Adamson, Thomas <T.Adamson at snhu.edu>
> wrote:
> > Doug,
> >  I will bet there are thousands of South Sea Islanders who are excellent
> swimmers and practice the skills you point out here, yet they would fail
> your exam - Meaning knowing the definitions is not an indicator of your
> actual swimming abilities.  :)
> >
> > Tom Adamson
>
> I don't disagree with you. On the other hand would you hire a 3d
> artist that said, I have no idea what IOR is or does? I was watching a
> video by Andrew Price where he says to set the IOR to 1.333 for water
> and then says he has no idea what it stands for. You can't say his
> blends suck, he does good nature work! But, my respect for him dropped
> a good bit at that point. We are making tests so that people can show
> that they are pros, not great hobbyists. I think that they should have
> a basic level of knowledge about each setting in blender and what it
> does. Knowing your tools and medium is basic to any profession,
> getting good results comes after you know your tools and you have
> developed your skill sets.
>
> Also I teach martial arts. There are people that just are good
> fighters but there are a LOT more that learned to be good. But really
> the important point is that most of those South Sea Islanders would
> loose to an Olympic swimmer and that Olympic swimmer could very likely
> tell you exactly what they are doing wrong and how they can improve it
> because he/she knows the physics of swimming as well as how to train
> and eat for best results.
>

> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Creative Commons Film Group, Helping people make open source movies
> with open source software!
> http://douglas.bespin.org/CommonsFilmGroup/phpBB3/index.php
>
> Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
> http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm
> Please link to me and trade links with me!
>
> Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.
> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page
> http://code.google.com/p/perspectiveproject/

*Octavio A. Méndez Sánchez*