[Bf-education] Version number

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 06:13:26 CEST 2010

Hi Tony.

Love your books BTW. So much so that I used the "Charactecter Animation" one
as a foundation for a tutorial at Creative COW:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ciccone_paolo/blender-survival-guide-7.php
I hope it's OK but let me know otherwise.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Tony Mullen <tony.mullen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the original question on this thread, I would recommend
> always advertising tutorials or learnign materials as being for the
> version they were created in

Yes, but I'm planning for a series of tutorials about the upcoming release
and I wanted to get the script and everything
right. While I agree that features are gonna move a lot there are
fundamental parts of the program that are fairly stable.
What I was trying to achieve is to get a sense of the numbering because
artwork and other elements depend on it.
We are at a point in the development where the version number should be a
very well defined entity. As I said, IMHO,
this should be called 3.0 and the current releases Blender 3.0 Alpha.
But I don't really care one way or the other. What I think is essential is
to dissipate the confusion and to have a clear way
of referring to the new version of Blender. I was just hoping that there was
a consensus at this point. I guess I was wrong :)

> My two cents on the 2.5beta->2.6 numbering scheme is that it makes no
> sense.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking so.
Thanks for the advice.

--