[Bf-education] Version number

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 02:52:18 CEST 2010

Regarding the original question on this thread, I would recommend
always advertising tutorials or learnign materials as being for the
version they were created in. If you make a tutorial now and advertise
it as being for 2.6, for example, it is almost guaranteed to be wrong.
I speak from experience, because I have had it happen where a last
minute change in a default made *after* two actual release candidates
and before the official release caused a slight but significant
problem for several parts of a book of mine. Obviously burning DVDs or
printing books about a beta release is not ideal, so really the only
solution I've found is to work my ass off when I've got a stable
release to work with and not worry too much otherwise. You can never
really get ahead of the present state of development in documentation,
however much the great unwashed masses may want you to ;)

My two cents on the 2.5beta->2.6 numbering scheme is that it makes no
sense. I think there should be a full release of 2.5. But I haven't
really been paying attention to the discussion so I don't know the
pros and cons, and it's really not a big deal either way, so I'm not
too worked up about it.