[Bf-education] Version number

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 01:55:29 CEST 2010

Hi John.

Yes, I've seen that page for months now and I don't think that it's clear.
In fact at first I thought there was a typo. In all my years of software
development I worked in teams where we referred to thinks like "JBuilder 3.0
Beta1, Beta2, release".
It kinda makes sense in the overall scheme of the "alpha, beta, gamma"
labeling. The page at Blender.org doesn't state clearly "2.5 is the
development version, the final release will be called 2.6". It lets you
deduce it but I'm sorry, I feel a bit insecure about it, when I think about
burning a few hundred DVDs with possibly the wrong version number on them. I
bet publishers are having the same issue.
I'm not saying that it's unreasonable, heck, I think that all the changes
justify a full jump to 3.0! We just need a "set in stone" decision. :)

--
Paolo Ciccone
www.preta3d.com